URBAN TOURISM IN INDIA
CONCEPT OF URBAN TOURISM
CASE STUDY- BENGALOORU
Urban tourism is an important factor of present tourism trend. This is having an immense attraction towards cities. It is also known as city tourism. It is developing very rapidly in the world. The main intention of urban tourism may be MICE, Leisure, short break holiday makers, day trippers as well as long holiday makers
CONCEPT OF URBAN TOURISM:
Trips and visits with a focus on town and city destinations is called as urban tourism. It is also known as “city tourism”. It is a fast growing form of tourism stimulated by historical and cultural attractions as well as shopping and event attractions. And by business travel it offers much scope for urban tourism.
For considering urban tourism we can classify that in to different types. Those are
1. Capital cities
2. Metropolitan cities
3. Large historic cities
4. Inner city areas
5. Revitalized waterfront areas
6. Industrial cities
7. Seaside resorts and winter sports centers
8. Purpose-built integrated resorts
9. Tourist-entertainment complexes
10. Specialized tourist service centers
11. Cultural art cities
Urban tourism has got mainly 3 elements
1. Primary elements
2. Secondary elements
3. Additional elements
1. Cultural facilities
A. Museums and art galleries
B. theaters and cinemas
C. concert halls
D. convention centers
E. other visitor attractions
2. Sports facilities
A. indoor stadiums
B. outdoor stadiums
3. Amusement facilities
A. night clubs
B. casinos and bingo halts
C. organized events
4. Physical characteristics
A. historical street pattern
B. interesting buildings
C. Ancient monuments and status
D. parks and green areas
E. waterfronts (harbor, canal, river)
5. Socio-cultural features
A. liveliness of a place
C. local customs and costumes
D. cultural heritage
2. SECONDARY ELEMENTS
B. Catering facilities
3. ADDITIONAL ELEMENTS
B. Transportation and parking
C. Tourist information (Maps, Guides etc.)
CASE STUDY- BENGALOORU:
We chosen Bengalooru as our case study city, which is one of the leading urban tourism destinations in India. Located on the Deccan plateau in the south-eastern part of Karnataka, Bangalore is India's third most populous city and fifth most populous urban agglomeration. Today, as a large and growing metropolis, Bangalore is home to some of the most well-recognized colleges and research institutions in India. City Built By “KEMPEGOUDA” in 16th Century. The Early name of Bangalore was “BENDAKALOORU”.
Numerous public sector, heavy industries, software companies, aerospace, telecommunications, and defense organizations are located in the city. Bangalore is known as the “Silicon Valley of India’” because of its pre-eminent position as the nation's leading IT employer and exporter. A demographically diverse city, Bangalore has developed into one of India's major economic hubs and is the fastest growing major metropolis in India
TOURIST ATTRACTIONS IN BENGALOORU
1. Lal bagh (glass house famous for its flower shows) botanical garden
2. Cubban park here we can find a toy train.
3. Forum mall – first shopping mall in Bangalore.
4. Vidhana soudha (Legislative building)
5. Athara kacheri (High court)
6. Bangalore palace
7. M.G Road and Brigade Road- Busiest Commercial streets of Bangalore.
8. Tippu sultan Summer palace
9. Vishveshwarayya Industrial and Technical Museum.
10. ISKCON (International Society For Krishna Consciousness )
11. Mayo hall
12. st. Patrix Church Built in 1884 oldest church in the city
13. Bull temple built by kemp Gouda in 16th century. Big statue of Nandi is existing here.
14. Kemp fort- A big huge statue of lord Shiva and a big shopping complex are here.
15. Infant Jesus church
16. Electronic city – An area which is covered by most IT industries. this is also called as “The Silicon Valley Of India”
17. HAL Aeronautical Museum.
18. Ravindra kala kshetra (theatre of fine arts)
19. Venkatappa art gallery
20. Garuda Mall
21. Gayana samaja (musical concert hall)
22. Wonderla – Biggest Amusement Park in India.
23. Chinnaswamy Stadium
24. Kantherava Indoor Stadium
25. Bannerghatta national Park
Urban Tourism is one of the important types of tourism which is emerging in India. Impact of LPG Is helped to increase the urban potentiality. So it is a very booming factor of tourism.
SOME IMP DESTINATIONS:
3. NEW DELHI
10. KANPUR ……….
In conclusion we want so say that urban tourism is emerging Form of tourism it helps to the development of the particular area in terms of Infrastructure, Transportation, Education and Medical Facility.